Thursday, July 29, 2010
Thursday 29 July Kediri to Probolinggo via Merican and Kedawung
Today we travelled a fair distance, with a highlight being the mountain section where we passed between a number of dormant volcanoes. It began with a return to Merican mill and ended with a visit to the diesel mill at Kedawung, which still has field lines.
At Merican, the action was similar to yesterday. We witnessed number 2 being used to haul the Mallet in order to rerail its tender and then the tender being derailed again immediately but more seriously this time, with the tender buffer riding up over the locomotive's rear buffer. Some decent springs at the rear end of the Mallet would prevent that happening as well as providing better traction for the front engine, and stopping that sad drooping look.
We saw sugar vans being hauled to the sugar shed and unloaded there.
We saw two more variations on the haulage of empty loris – by a cane delivery truck, using a chain
and by a pair of oxen.
Our scenic trip through the mountains was very enjoyable.
The traffic wasn't too bad and there were not too many roadworks but we had to cross a Bailey Bridge where a mountain stream had washed out the road.
There were interesting villages
and food on sale, as it is everywhere.
Our lunch was a forgettable one (company excepted).
We came at length to Kedawung mill, where no less than five diesels were out on cane haulage in the fields. One item of interest we did see was a disused British-built Baguley diesel and there was also a rare Krauss lookalike Breda locomotive out of use. As with most discarded locomotives in dark sheds, photography is an ongoing challenge.
- Saturday 17 July Jakarta
- Sunday 18 July 2010 Jakarta to Cirebon and Tersana...
- Monday 19 July Cirebon to Tegal and Sumberharjo Mi...
- Tuesday 20 July Pangka
- Wednesday 21 July Sragi and Sumberharjo
- Thursday 22 July Tegal to Bandungan via Cepiring M...
- Friday 23 July Bandungan to Solo via Amberawa and ...
- Saturday 24 July Gondang Baru mill and Prambanan
- Sunday 25 July Solo to Madiun via Purowodadi
- Monday 26 July Madiun to Cepu via Pagottan, Kanigo...
- Tuesday July 27 Cepu Forestry Railway
- Wednesday 28 July – Cepu to Kediri via Soedhono an...
- Thursday 29 July Kediri to Probolinggo via Merican...
- Friday 30 July Probolinggo to Situbondo via Gendin...
- Saturday 31 July Semboro and Olean
- ▼ July (15)