After a delightful evening at a private game lodge, we returned to Loerie where we resumed our journey following some shunting of our coal and water supplies.
We proceeded to Gamtoos where the river has cut its way through many metres of red alluvial deposits that consist largely of pebbles. These are loosely concreted together so that even railway cuttings can be driven through.
We proceeded on the Patensie branch up the Gamtoos valley.
Unfortunately, the line is currently not available for use much beyond Hankey, 13 kilometres from Loerie, but the train did cross the bridge just north of Hankey for our benefit.
We returned to Loerie for a second night.
- Tuesday 25 May Sandstone Estates Day 2
- Wednesday 26 May Sandstone Estates Day 3
- Thursday 27 May Sandstone Estates Day 4
- Friday 28 May Paton’s Country Railway
- Saturday 29 May Creighton Day 1
- Sunday 30 May Creighton Day 2
- Monday 31 May Creighton to Port Elizabeth
- Tuesday 1 June Avontuur line Day 1
- Wednesday 2 June Avontuur line Day 2
- Thursday 3 June Avontuur line Day 3
- Friday 4 June Avontuur line Day 4
- Saturday 5 June Avontuur line Day 5
- Sunday 6 June Johannesburg
- Saturday 26 June Tully and Mourilyan
- Sunday 27 June Ingham
- ▼ June (15)